Friday, November 6, 2009

Baby Bubble Burst!

The Baby Bubble exists! So I am sure I read this phrase in one of the million Preparing For Baby! books I studied during pregnancy, and now I fully realize its truth. The Bubble begins forming in pregnancy, where thoughts of baby nurseries, diaper genies, and the proper car seat purchase become all consuming. When pregnant with Peanut, my Saturday evenings progressed from dinner and drinks with friends to all night Internet searches reviewing everything from the proper bottle cleaner to the all important stroller. However, it isn’t until you are screeching to a halt at the hospital valet in full labor that the Baby Bubble fully encloses. Suddenly, it is impossible to think about anything other than that angel face and any and everything that relates to it. Obsession regarding this creature’s feeding, changing, and sleeping patterns become all encompassing (OMG I think he is sleeping too much!…do Internet search. OMG-don’t think he is sleeping enough! …do Internet search. OMG-he hasn’t eaten in 4 hours!...do Internet search. OMG-if I don’t choose the right diaper brand he will most probably be scarred for life!...do Internet search.) It becomes almost impossible to carry on a conversation regarding anything that doesn’t relate to the above (“Guess what Sam-dating a new guy what do you think? “Well, I need to know if he uses hand sanitizer, because if not then you might have been infected and therefore my baby may somehow be in contact with GERMS! AHHHHH!”) Realizing my state of baby crazy, I am usually fighting like mad to gain some semblance of normal after day 3; however, there is something so special about being enveloped in the baby bubble cocoon, there is nothing quite like it. And I don’t think you truly feel how exceptional it is until the Baby Bubble…bursts. And nothing can rupture the Bubble more readily…than entering your place of employment. BOO. I am currently searching for some glue.

No comments:

Post a Comment