Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Six Weeks Postpartum=Normal??

So I just had the dreaded 6 week postpartum check-up. Dreaded for the obvious reason-I mean the thought of anyone being near that area almost evokes a post traumatic syndrome attack. But even more than that, the thought of walking out the door with the diagnosis of “back to normal” frightens me even more. I don’t know about you, but I do not consider sleeping in 2 hour intervals, carrying around an extra 15 lbs, or soaking through a t-shirt after simply looking at the baby on the Pampers box normal occurrences. Well…at least not normal for PBS (PreBabySam). So now that I have the official sign off and in the interest of keeping some semblance of PBS, I have decided to compile a list of some crazy recent behaviors that I may need to curb-



1. Wearing the same pair of sweat pants for a week-no matter how comfortable, this is just not sanitary


2. Still keeping the cute maternity tops in my closet-just in case (it was cute 2 months ago-it now needs to go into a bin…for good)


3. Waking up on Thursday and realizing a shower has not been had since Owen has been home (ie Sunday)


4. Thinking that using a baby wipe to blot a shooting poo from my fleece has made it acceptable to wear out in public (no excuse, but it was only a little!)


5. Getting teary every time someone mentions work or employment of any kind (crazy as I am, I started mourning maternity leave going too quickly the day I left the hospital)


6. Noticing spit up on my shoulder but turning a blind eye, because really who has another shirt that fits anyhow?


7. Feeding the dog dishwasher detergent (in my defense, the box was located right next to the food container)


8. Getting giddy about going out to get the mail (even PBS was pretty pumped when US Weekly arrived, but horizons really need to be broadened when this becomes my daily highlight)


9. Thinking that I can probably go “just one more day” after hair has not been properly washed in a week: I mean it usually looks better if I sleep on it! (okay, so this may be true after day 2, but at day 7 really greasy and generally unattractive)


10. Remembering to always pull up my dress after feeding the baby (long story-but let’s be honest, it didn’t just happen once)






Who am I kidding? I need to resign myself that NORMAL has been redefined. Funny that I thought that I would be more put together this being my second time entering New Mommyhood. If anything, I am more of a wreck this time around (letting my roots grow out is a tell tale sign). I don’t think it matters if it is time 1 or 4-these little creatures make a GRAND entrance and frankly I don’t think I will ever be “normal” again (and honestly, my normal always was a bit in question). Granted, I need to work on a few of my issues listed above (for safety, sanity and good old public decency), but I have decided to give myself a break and extend my “just had a baby” time for an additional 6 weeks…with the complete right to extend at that point if I feel appropriate (no husband input necessary). Given these revelations, I am off to buy a few more pairs of sweats…

No comments:

Post a Comment